Friday, October 22, 2010

Researching Album Covers and Album Cover 1.

As part of my media project, I will also have to create an album cover (front and back) in accordance to my music video. Before I do this, I have decided to research a couple of album covers (front and back) in order to get into perspective the kind of themes and ideas I could use for my own album cover. I obtained all of my CD Album covers by either taking pictures myself of my own albums, or using a simple google image (free from copyright of course).

Album Cover 1: Michael Buble - Crazy Love


On first looks, there is a simple but effective connection between both the front and back of the album cover. Whilst most of both cover sides are primarily a picture of the artist (for the obvious reason to draw attention to them and their music), there is a colour scheme present also. In this cover, the cover theme is a serene, happy kind of colour scheme will creams, light greys and yellow. This relates to the style of the artists music which is primarily pop/jazz, meaning it usually has a relaxed feel to it. On the front side, there is a close up shot of the artists face to present an intimate feel to the artists music; allowing them to relate to it more. However, on the back it is a medium shot, designed to show the artists clothing and further imply to the target audience of the style and feel of the music and the music album. In this sense, the music album becomes a summary of the type of music inside. On this cover, there is a simplistic feel. Not much is going on unless it is necessary such as the title, contents and artists name. On the back, the contents is clearly shown in an organised manner; each song labled in chronological order with the font large to draw attention to the reader the songs. The yellow banner that contains the artists name links the front and back cover together as, put side by side, you can clearly see it follows on. This connection clears up confusions about which artist the CD is of. Looking at the technicalities of the album cover, I can see the necessary labels that are issued on the back to signify to the audience certain things: for example, the bar code, the artists record company label and a symbol to show the CD can play on a DVD player. I will use these in the making of my own album cover to make it appear professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment