Monday, October 25, 2010

Font Ideas.

The font of my album cover is key to its design. Because of this, I will take extra care in the font of my album cover by searching for different fonts and how/why I think they could relate to the feel of my album cover. I have obtained these fonts using http://www.dafont.com/, a website I have used before and thus know its reliable. I have narrowed my search down to four different fonts with feedback from various classmates. Later on, I will conduct a survey as to which font recieved the most fonts; using this is as my final decision on which font to choose. My chosen fonts are as follows;

1. Que FONTita!


I chose this font as it has a youthful, comical feel to it and seems like the type of font that could appear as part of a fun, upbeat song. If you look closely, small pictures are placed around a few of the letters, something I thought would appeal to my target audience and something that, on a personal level, I thought looked good.

Lance: I like this font as it seems fun and boyish (something that would appeal to me - and also would appeal to the male dominated target audience of the music project). The boldness of it is appealing and I think it could really work well with the music project.

Ashleigh: The font works well as its fun and bold, meaning it wont fade out amongst other aspects of the album. The little pictures are intricate and intriguing, something I think an audience would really enjoy.
Rachel: The font works well because it looks hand written/drawn, and gives it a bit of authenticity. The white and black work well together and make the font look fun and quirky.
2. A Love of Thunder

In this font, what really appealed to me was the simplicity of it. By making it simple, I can add other quirky effects to the album cover. As I believe my music video and chosen song is more male orientated, I wanted to project this onto my album cover; believing that out of all the font's chosen, this is the most male orientated thus relating to my target audience.

Chris: I like how simple this font is, and its boldness, but I fear it could become a bit boring. However, it has potential to be really good if everything else on this hypothetical album cover is constructed cleverly.

Sarah: The boldness is something that, as a teenager and therefore part of the target audience, appeals to me. It draws me in and intrigues me into what the album cover could be like. Its very easy to read and stands out, which is good.

Amy: This font I enjoy because it works in a very understated, simple way. It seems to draw the reader in and gives them an impact. The small faded bits are very implicit, but give it an authentic look, something I really like.

1. Elastic Wrath


I picked this font because I felt it fit with the criteria of that I wanted out of an album cover; fun, silly, informal and something that would appeal to a teenage target audience. I personally really liked the swirls that define the "0's" of the writing, and the curls emphasise the fun I wanted to get out of my album cover.

Lee: I enjoy this font because its eye catching and fun to look at. However, I think if anything, it could relate more to girls and because of this, its not my favourite. But, I could definately see a title like this in an album cover for The Wombats because its quirky, fun and epitomises youth.

Naomi: This is one of my favourite fonts because its really fun and different. Having an individual looking font could add an advantage as it attracts more of an audience. This fun font envokes positive emotions - something I think could even more attract an audience.

Jack: This font is fun and unique, but to me it looks a little too girly for the key target audience and it may be too flamboyant for a simple album cover. However, it certainly is different and looks authentic - something I and I believe an audience would appreciate.

3. Ghetto Marquee

So far, this is my favourite. Mainly because it looks authentic and almost natural - like photography. This font seems gritty and pertains very cleverly to both a predominately male and teenage age criteria. This font caught my eye because in my music video, I am using flashcards as props to create a fun and quirky feel and this font looks like each individual letter is made of a flashcard, so relates very much so to my music video and the overall feel of my music video project.

Hamish: I like this font as it looks very indie, something I think The Wombats music is. The font looks very authentic and natural, but with a gritty edge to it that adds quirkiness. My only criticism could be that it looks a bit too dark, and sharp and in that sense, doesn't fit in with the quirky music.

Perry: This is a unique and "indie" looking font that I think could fit well with the idea of the music video, if constructed properly. It could be a bit too dark and grungy though, and might not add in with the target audience.
Kris: I really enjoy this font type for a title as it looks unique, different and fits in well with the male target audience. Though it does look a bit dark in colour and sense to be classed as fun if it was part of an album cover, it has a lot of potential to be constructed well and would catch an audiences attention.


Alternatively...
After considering all four of the titles, I have to note that I could choose more than one font, and alternate between the album name title and the bands name title etc. However, that would tak choosing two fonts that look similar together. Still, the option is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment