Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ideas about props.



Definition of "Prop"- "A theatrical property".
The chosen song for my video contains lyrics that have a lot of intertextuality to it and feature different mentions of certain things in pop culture. Because of this, I decided to annotate a sheet with the songs lyrics on, to get into perspective what kind of props would be needed in the making of my video. Throughout the lyrics, intertextuality is repeated in the form of pop culture in things such as "Eastenders", "Bridget Jones" and also in the form of everyday life, pertaining to the socio-realist theme (such as "Carrots"). Throughout the lyrics, I have generated ideas to both give a humourous feel to the video (in the form of props) and to link in with the intertextuality present in the lyrics of the song. For example, with the repition of "This is no Bridget Jones", I have taken into consideration the idea of anti Bridget Jones posters around my locations, giving a humourous feel whilst being "intertextual". Below, I have listed more ideas for props generated from the bands song lyrics.

"I've met someone that makes me feel seasick" - Here, I thought about the idea of throwing a sick looking product over the actors for comic effect.

"Whenever she looks I read the nearest paper, but I don't care about the soaps, no I don't care about the soaps.. Though I'm acting like i'm in an Eastenders episode" - This is my most crucial line, as it contains a large majority of intertextual ideas for me to create props. For this, I am considering your typical props, such as a newspaper. I will link the "soaps" and "Eastenders episode" lyrics together for my prop by creating a prop to do with the Eastenders soap, possibly a charicature or a puppet of a popular Eastenders character. This will hopefully add a humourous effect too.

"If this is a rom-com, kill the director" - Here, like the "Bridget Jones" idea, I was going to have anti romance or director posters put up, possibly of popular romance movies or directors such as Love Actually and Steven Spielberg.

"Carrots help us see much better in the dark" - Here, the obvious would be to add a vegetable like prop, my only problem being whether or not this would be too silly.

"This is my head and this is my spout" - The prop here, I thought could be associated with a teacup, here I could play around with silly, nursery tale style themes to emphasise the comic effect.

"So with the angst of a teenage band..." - To relate to the music, my idea was to pull out a guitar and have the main actors pretend to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment